Carmel founded in 1902, officially known as Carmel-by-the-Sea, is just about an hour and a half from Santa Clara along the I-85. Day trips to this small city, located on the Monterey Peninsula include everything from a stunning performance of Shakespeare at Forest Theater to a day of pampering at area resorts. Coastal sea breezes cool average temperatures to just under 60 degrees with highs in the low 70s during the hottest days in summer. Hotels in Carmel offer reasonable rates near area attractions.
Carmel, CA Hotels
Many Carmel hotels and inns are known for their unique designs and exemplary guest services. Many of these hotels and inns cater to visitors coming to Carmel for a day trip to enjoy the delights of this scenic village.
• Casa de Carmel - This cottage-style bed and breakfast is located right in the heart of Downtown Carmel. Guests are treated to a light breakfast delivered right to their door. After breakfast, guests can walk to the beach just a few steps away from the hotel.
• Colonial Terrace Inn - This 26-room hotel is the oldest in Carmel and a local favorite because it is walking distance from breathtaking, white sandy beaches and local shops and restaurants.
• La Playa Hotel - This Mediterranean-style boutique hotel, just minutes from the ocean and the downtown shopping district, is known for its lush gardens and luxury amenities.
Carmel, CA Restaurants
Carmel restaurants include romantic gourmet dining at Casanova Restaurant, Il Fornaio, Patisserie Boissiere Restaurant & Patisserie and Aubergine. Looking for some local flavor? Try Forge In the Forest, Dametra Cafe, Village Corner Bistro and The Grill on Ocean Avenue. Sample some of California's best wines at Andre's Bouchee Restaurant & Wine Bar.
Carmel, CA Resorts
• Carmel Valley Ranch - The perfect destination for a day trip from Santa Clara, this resort offers a luxurious golf course and world-class tennis courts. Guests often enjoy hiking, wine tasting and yoga.
• Hyatt Carmel Highlands - This oceanfront hotel and resort is just minutes away from the ocean, but includes a heated indoor pool for guests to enjoy as well. A day trip here should include a stop at the award-winning Pacific’s Edge restaurant. The resort's concierge can arrange a day of activities catered to your interests.