Viewing a variety of homes is important in the home buying process and helps give buyers a better idea of what they can get within their price range. Open Houses are a great way for a buyer to see a number of homes in a single day. However, before you hit the road, here are a few tips to ensure that you are prepared and get the most out of the experience.
Before Viewing Open Houses:
- Research properties that you are interested in.
- Contact your agent and inform them that you are going to view the properties and see what their opinion is and if they know of any others you should view while you are out.
- Create a schedule of properties that you want to see. Many brokerage real estate sites offer an open house tour that will automatically give you directions to each house for increased efficiency.
- Allow yourself enough time to view all the properties.
- Write a checklist of your must haves. You can bring this to every open house and check off when a property meets your criteria.
- Bring a notebook to write pros and cons for every house.
Once You’re at the Open House:
- Be polite to the hosting agent and inform them if you are already working with an agent.
- Focus on the house and see how it compares with your must have list.
- Take pictures of key areas features that you like as well as potential problems. The pictures will be great for referring back to the home, especially if you are viewing multiple homes. However, be sure to ask before taking pictures or video.
- Look to ensure there is enough storage space in the home.
- Don’t discuss your situation, how your home search is going and when you need to move. Remember, the agent works for the seller and divulging the wrong information can affect your bargaining position.
- Listen to what other buyers are saying about the property as they may notice things you did not.
- Look past the house owner’s decorating style to the house’s features. These are easy changes; what matters most is that the space will work for your lifestyle.
- Try to imagine the house with your belongings and maybe with a new coat of paint to make it your own.
Questions to be sure to ask:
- Is the open house agent the listing agent?
- Why are they selling the home?
- Are there any other offers?
- What is the neighborhood like?
- What are the nearby schools like?
- What are the comparables for the property?
- How long has it been on the market?
- Do they have a list of comparable homes?
- Does the house have any upgrades or special features that you should look for while you are walking through the house?
After Viewing the Open House:
- Think about the property and how much you would be willing to pay for it.
- Compare it with other properties you viewed to narrow down your list of potential homes..
- If you like the property and are thinking about moving forward,s contact your agent to schedule a private showing.
About The Brokerage
Residential Properties Ltd., a privately-held real estate brokerage, has been serving the Rhode Island real estate market since 1981. Representing Providence homes for sale and the surrounding area, Residential Properties is the local expert for all your real estate needs. With a strong commitment to quality service, Residential Properties has fostered a real estate culture where ideas and up-to-date knowledge are shared throughout the company. For more information, visit them online at www.residentialproperties.com.